Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

2 Feb 2018

Another piece to the tale

What is so enjoyable about researching for a manuscript, in this instance, is who emerges along the way and the gems offered or pointed out. Cousin Susan Keys and I have been in contact in more recent times.

During our conversation, Susan mentioned I have two (2) copies of the book Kohukohu, by Eric Anderson.  She also mentioned there is a section on Frederick Maning (which is her great-great-great-grandfather) and his purchase of Kohukohu in 1834. She then offered me one of her copies?

I am grateful for her generosity.



Yesterday I received the above book and have immersed myself in its content and pictures. This book provides a wonderful insight into the daily life of communities and industries in the Hokianga from 1850’s to the earlier 1990’s. This extends beyond GGGF Maning’s ‘…semi-autobiographical Old New Zealand classic.’ (Anderson 2007, Pg. 5) This book provides information during the period father and his siblings would have experienced in their formative years.

My father Robert Tohu Diamond (Taimona) was born in Pakanae in 1916 and was the 11th child of, Tere Hohua Taimona and Keita Hauraki Maning. Keita had a daughter Sue prior to her union with Tere. They went on to have thirteen children of which my dad was the 4th youngest.

The book on Kohukohu provides material that ideally suits the sociological imagination framework I spoke about in my earlier posts. I can now take some of fathers recording and immerse them into that period in the Hokianga. This I am looking forward to!

During father’s later years he and I headed back to the Hokianga for a visit.  On the way, we stayed with his niece Cheryl in Whangarei. While there, she invited three (3) of dad’s nieces around who lived in the area.  He had not seen them for many decades.  It was fascinating observing him in the company of his four (4) nieces, all in their 60’s. Invariably, those questions and discussions were around the Hokianga.

That evening Kiwi, one of his nieces asked if she could head North with us. What a bonus that turned out to be as she spent her formative years in the Hokianga and was a source of knowledge throughout our trip.  It certainly opened conversations beyond what dad and I would have had. 


Heart-warming to drive these two around while they reminisced about each location we visited. Music to my ears! I will write more details about this trip in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.