Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

4 May 2018

A phone call away

Handwritten letter dated Monday evening, 13th August 2001

Seventeen years ago, the above letter was written by Phoebe on behalf of her parents Maryann and Kyrke Watkins to my father after our visit to Opononi. Father’s, nieces Anne (Tui) and Margaret and I had spent a truly memorable evening, at Marianne and Kyrke’s home.  One full of storytelling. music and seafood!

Early this year I contacted Ngaire Slade (Perth – formerly from Hokianga) to ask if she knew Phoebe who had written the letter and was it possible to get her phone number when she was next in the Hokianga. A week ago, I got a message from Ngaire who was able to get access to Phoebe’s number during her stop off in NZ after visiting South America. 

The comment was written in Phoebe’s letter to my father, “I hope you are well and perhaps, I too shall meet your family.  This has been a wonderful time listening to my mother [while writing to you]." The comment, 'perhaps I too shall meet your family provided the impetus, although many years later, to make this telephone call. 

When I received Phoebe’s telephone number from Ngaire I took a deep breath and dialled her number not knowing what had taken place in the interim. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes. What a wonderful moment to read back to Phoebe, part of what she had written all those years ago. After introducing myself and speaking about what I was doing with the book, I asked her was it an appropriate time to talk. Fortunately, for me it was.

I learned that Phoebe’s mother Maryann had passed away in more recent times and that her father Kyrke was still alive, clear of mind and now 88 years of age. He has since moved to Rangi Point opposite Opononi at the Northern end of the Hokianga Harbour. It was so very special to have this channel of communication emerge and Phoebe’s willingness to chat without expectations.  

During this conversation Phoebe asked me, if you have any questions, write them on a piece of paper and send to my address. Once received she would ask Uncle Kyrke the question/s and write down his stories. In the context of this book, it is a gift Phoebe has offered when one lives so far away. It is always exciting when new material comes to hand, invariably not anticipated. When I said goodbye to Phoebe and ended the call I sat back, took a long breath and reflect upon the generosity of others.   

Phoebe had mentioned that the Whirinaki community was relevant to my Tupuna Wahine’s Moengaroa and Erana Kohe Leaf.  During our telephone conversation, Phoebe had mentioned she would speak to her dad. It is an area I had not visited during trips up North and very much look forward to what can be learnt from Uncle Kyrke.
Visiting Aunty Mary's gravesite at Pawarenga with cousin Cheryl,
husband Ross and son Aaron.
Up till this visit, I had only visited Pakanae Cemetery with Cheryl
so on this day, we visited a number of cemeteries relevant
to family and extended family members.

My next BLOG post will be from Sri Lanka
Take care in the interim.
Viti Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.