Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

3 May 2021

It has been SOME TIME since I last posted.

Picking up where I left on in 2018. At that time I was working on my manuscript part-time in between undertaking an Australian International Volunteer Assignment in Fiji and on my return to Perth took on a role with a local Community Centre in Perth.

End of 2020 I left that role so I could spend the time on completing my third manuscript (1st solo piece of writing).


Book Title

Hikoi of Discovery
Father's Maori Maternal Ascendants Emerge
1800s-1950s
Hokianga to the King Country 

Vignette: 

In acknowledgement of my Father, 'Ropata' Robert Tohu Diamond alias Taimona (1916-2003).

His memoirs and tales were taped as I am driving towards the Hokianga in 2001. His recourse about his mother, Keita, and contributions on behalf of his 13 siblings would have been lost, had we not?

His formative years captured is: full of wit, humour, raw and challenging. Much of which was new to me.

In late 2018, I returned to the Hokianga for further research and engagement with Whanau (family) connections. Essential in enriching the family history and filling in the gaps.

Ascendants discovered

Discovering the names of Father's maternal ascendants: Mereana Leaf, Moengaroa Maning, and Erana Kohe Leaf, was overwhelming.

Nonetheless, they have been in my presence, since. Joyful. Father's mother, Keita Diamond, my grandmother (Kui). I knew her name, but little else. 

The responsibility of co-authoring on behalf of these ascendants has not been lost on me. At times, our Whakapapa (Family Tree) felt like a rubric cube. 

Fathers four maternal ascendants were in interracial unions/marriages with settler men.

The above photo was taken after attending Sunday Service in Whirinaki in 2018. This was the community that Father’s ascendants had lived.

Photo: Phoebe Watkins (middle) was my guide and Dorrie Hemara on the left with myself on the right before we visited the local Urupa's (Cemeteries). 

 


Historical works provide context for the 1800s and early 1900s

Angela Wanhalla (2013), Matters of the Heart, A History of Interracial Marriage in New Zealand, informs that, "...Maori women’s voices are not easy to find in colonial records. Largely written by white men and officials, these documents offer an uneven picture of marriage practices.…”

My focus on bringing women's voices to light, across cultures, would not surprise many of you. I have been travelling this road since 1993-2021 locally, nationally and internationally, all self-funded.

At times my courage would waver while writing. Fortunately, Alexa Whaley a Volunteer at the Hokianga Historical Society in Omapere would put the wind back in my sails.

Her last piece of advice, "...to be opening up the hitherto unknown territory about Keita and her life – that’s so important in itself.'

Rivers & Native Timber Trade

Both the Hokianga and King Country were associated with timber industries and rivers. With migration comes the establishment of families and communities.

Father and Ian Goodman's journey to establishing their families in the Timber town of Manunui from 1915 to the 1950s. They first met when playing for the Manunui Rugby Club in late 1930s to early 1940s.

This photo of the Whanganui River was taken in 2015 when I revisited my childhood swimming spot. These steps were there in the 1950s. It was a period and an environment that was influential in shaping my curiosity.

The final section in the book is the relationship between a Father and his daughter and her awakening to the importance of gender equity.

PLEASE NOTE: if you are interested in obtaining a copy of my book the best option at this stage is through my direct email: viti@bearfruit.com.au in readiness for my print run approximately June/July 2021.

My intent is to return to posting more frequently. 

 Take care in the interim.

Viti Kay 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.