Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

26 Jun 2021

The learnings from...

Hikoi of Discovery

Father's Maternal Ascendants Emerge

Hokianga 1800s - 1930s and his relocation to the King Country 1930s-1950s


Leaf, Maning (Manene) Diamond (Taimona)

Author 

Viti Kay Simmons (nee Diamond) 


There have been many while writing over the last three years (p/t). Just the other day, a light bulb moment. I found myself vocalising a musing while standing at the kitchen bench. 

Father's Maternal Ascendants have reconnected their descendants.

I have met new members of our extended Whanau (family) from across Australia and New Zealand over the last six months and recently with my promotion of, Hikoi of Discovery. My messaging app has been a  'busy bee', as has my Facebook page messaging. 

New friendships have emerged, and those close at hand I have arranged to have a coffee with. Reconnections to my first cousins next generation. Keen to learn about the contents of my book. A few attending my Book Launch at the WA Museum Boola Bar dip in Perth. Something I had not anticipated.

Technology has been at the heart of this reconnection with the broader Whanau who live in Diaspora communities, generally speaking. This means,

"Any community of people from the same country or region living in another country (or countries). They are considered a community if they consciously collaborate based on their belongings to the same country or region of origin. Collaborations could be through meetings And social events that are or are not linked to life in the country of origin." Sourced 26/06/2021 online


The research process for the Whakapapa (Family Tree) included many hours of what I have referred to as working with a rubric cube and the importance of working with colours. Otherwise, it was not difficult to be overwhelmed by names, places, and sorting through information provided online, which often has contradictory information. Worth the toil of arriving at an understanding of one's interpretation of data in all its forms. 

Take care in the interim.

Viti Simmons

Founder of

From 2008.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.