Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

29 Oct 2014


Creating Social Change: 
By joining the dots

My mothers dressmaking 
measuring stick -
Now in my keeping.
When I reflect upon the narrative underpinning this treasured item I associate it with: memories, productivity and enterprise captured in my book, A tree needs water to bear fruit: Enterprising women creating reservoirs for poverty 
alleviation.
Link to Book Description 
Link to Book Order
  • Productivity: Growing up in rural New Zealand in the 1950s and 1960s, I recall sitting on the kitchen table or floor, wooden measuring stick in hand, gliding around the hemline of garments as directed by my mother. Generally, the garments recipients were family, friends or relatives. On reflection, no money exchanged hands once such tasks were completed. It was the norm in our rural community; no retail outlets provided such services.
  • Enterprise: Because this measuring stick and my dressmaking model meant I could complete what I was making independently.

 Measuring stick passed on through the generations.

Joining the dots of productivity and enterprise to Hands with Hands Microcredit projects in rural villages in Chitwan District and their Self-Sustaining Childrens Home in Pokhara, Nepal is evident in their microcredit projects.

My role as Ambassador for Hands with Hands has evolved and more recent initiatives have been linked to the creation of 'Giving Circles'. These donations provide women in Nepal with the opportunity to receive training in areas of their choosing such as: Microcredit introductory course, Literacy training, Business and financial training, Agriculture training, Marketing, Carpet weaving and Sewing classes to name a few. 

In some instances sewing classes provide the incentive for women to consider establishing an enterprise in handmade garments to generate an income. In turn this provides an opportunity for women to access microcredit and approach a Microfinance Cooperative to join as a member. 

Photo sourced from Hands with Hands website.

I first met Sarada (working with white cloth) when I visited the  Annapurna Self-Sustaining Childrens Home model in Pokhara, Nepal 2011. An inspiring woman! This children's home is associated with Hands with Hands a small NGO in Nepal. I am excited about meeting up with Sarada during my forthcoming visit in November 2014 and to see firsthand the progress they are making towards self-sustainability.  

Hands with Hands vision is all about creating social change, '...where we work hand with hand, supporting, being with, sensitive to the humanity and the higher potential of the person, the situation - the moment.'
  • Jane Milburn
To conclude this post I was recently directed to Jane Milburn's, A 365-day Eco clothing project creating social impact - Jane's website

Her inspiring project aligns with the above dressmaking themes of productivity and enterprise but from a different angle.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.