Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

12 Jan 2018

Magic not sorrow

In 2003 I interviewed my Dad. Qualitative research has always been my bent since I commenced my mature-age studies. With bias, my generation, dad's grandchildren and great-grandchildren recall his ability to tell a tale with such fondness. It is only now that I have gained a ‘full appreciation’ of his life and that I feel equipped to tackle this project.  

Along with his tapes, letters were written, material gathered – snippets on paper – photos – articles etc all contained in a folder emblazon across the front, don’t throw this folder out – My dad’s material. It was being kept. At some-time, I thought I would get around to putting something together for the generations that follow done this lineage.

Well as time has shown, a passion for research seeps into your bones and for me always being captivated by the bigger picture and possibilities. Being Brave, with this project is about finding peace with the idea that I am going to tackle a project that will write my truth. Delighted to say in a short space of time I have arrived. What enabled me to do so was transcribing my father’s tapes yesterday and I will finish off today. 



Hearing his voice after an absence of 13 years, proved to be soothing. Our exchanges, so familiar, laughing, father singing at my request, tales of his childhood and early employment years in the Hokianga and King Country. The mischief he got up to but allowing him space, to digress prompted by our exchanges. Being able to merge his truth into the sociological, historical and cultural history of his time in the Hokianga and King Country will move me towards a “fuller appreciation” of his truth and how that influenced the way I was raised during my formative years.

Circumstantially the photo on the screen to my left is me standing on the Opononi Wharf during one of our visits to the Hokianga.  Paul suggested I go and stand out on the wharf so he could take a photo. I recall being resistant and how poignant his insistence has become. It will remain during the development of this manuscript.
Go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.