Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

8 Jan 2018

TODAY I COMMENCE MY THIRD MANUSCRIPT

To celebrate starting my manuscript I headed off to Kings Park. The morning was beautiful and crisp. The sun rising between the gum trees at the Subiaco entrance to the park. How interesting that I have not noticed the Pohutukawa Tree so symbolic to all New Zealanders and known as the New Zealand Christmas Tree.  

What I have found previously, when writing, is the heightened awareness that comes when your researching or gathering data for a specific purpose.  In this instance, when I lifted my head and saw flowers on the Pohutukawa Tree I made the connection.  
 
The historical component of my manuscript will commence in the mid-1830’s in New Zealand. During this period the pohutukawa’s timber was used for ship-building during New Zealand’s early settlement period. It was also used by Maori for medicinal purposes.

Invariably, projects I undertake have an environmental engagement/component to them. Whether that be walking trails, tracks, national parks or trekking.  This time I only need to walk up the road. Over time I have gathered a growing collection of Images which become a resource to make connections beyond the obvious. This then opens up my thinking!
Why I took this specific photo which includes the gum tree was the awareness of two halves makes a whole. From a sociological perspective, this refers to my Maori-Pakeha heritage. 

From an environmental perspective, the symbolism of these two trees is representative of my life’s journey. My formative years of growing up in New Zealand and then our move to Australia where we raised our family. Symbolically, here are these two trees, side by side, in the park just down the road.

No more delaying tactics Viti, time to get on with it…😉
Trust you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.