Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

5 Jan 2018

Sociological Imagination

When I first started my undergraduate studies in Sociology and Women’s Studies, as a mature-age student, I remember the Introduction Sociology unit thinking, OMG this fits like a glove.

I am a fan of C. Wright-Mills (1959) who defines Sociological Imagination (SI) as ‘…an imagination which focuses on the individual in the larger scheme of things; the relationship between the individual and society, between the biography of individual members of any particular society…’.
it also ‘…focuses attention on the social structure of the society in which we live…’ which underpins the questions we ask ourselves and others.

Thirdly, ’The uniqueness of the discipline lies in the way which explanation is sought, in the way society is organised as a whole and the experience of individuals understood in that context.’ (Willis, E 1993, p.10-11).

Husband Paul had not heard of the concept of an SI. This morning I shared the above explanations with him. He nodded his head. I replied this is what sits under many of the questions I have raised over the years. He nodded his head! 

My third manuscript will apply an SI lens. Currently, I am reading, gathering and totally absorbed in Maori-Pakeha history in the Hokianga, New Zealand.

The genesis of this book commences with the marriage of Judge Frederick Edward Maning (Irish Settler) and Moengaroa Te Hikutu (sister of Hauraki - surname to be confirmed) a Maori woman (Ngapuhi tribe) in the Hokianga.

During my informative years and anecdotally I had heard names mentioned but with no clear understanding until yesterday when I finally sat at the table with all the pieces to the above family tree. I suspect that part of this was due to our relocation to Australia, not taking the time to engage with the family tree that does exist and anecdotally information that was shared as time went by. 

Nonetheless, the name Maning was mentioned over time.

I read Frederick Maning’s book Old New Zealand while studying. More from curiosity than the absolute wonder and engagement that is going on right now!  


What a moment to actually see the above visually. Jennifer Ashton's History Thesis, At The Margin Of Empire John Webster and Hokianga, 1841-1900 has been a find as has other material I have gathered since my last trip to New Zealand, November 2017. Looking forward to all what evolves. 

Heartfelt thanks to niece Kiri Diamond (caretaker of our Family Tree) since her parents passing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.